Regardless of size, all businesses consume resources (such as water, energy, fuels) and produce waste.
Did you know?
Lincolnshire currently produces 361,000 tonnes of waste each year.
Resource consuming activities have an impact on the planet, whether contributing to carbon emissions or polluting the natural environment.
For your business to reduce its impact on the planet and become more sustainable, it’s important to first understand and quantify the impacts so that improvements can be made, and measured.
This section of the Green Tourism Toolkit will help you understand your impact on the planet and provides guidance on next steps…
In this third chapter of four, Léa explores one of the key elements of Green Tourism – Planet. All businesses have an impact on the planet whether it is contributing to carbon emissions or polluting the natural environment. Find out how your business can be more energy savvy and environmentally efficient.
Carbon Calculator Tool
Calculate your carbon emissions with Visit Lincolnshire's simple carbon calculation tool.
✓ Read the ‘Planet’ section of the Green Tourism Toolkit
- Monitor and manage your energy consumption
- Switch things off when not in use and use lighting controls
- Adjust your thermostat and boiler temperatures
- Upgrade to LEDs
- Maintain your equipment
- Invest in energy efficiency (refer to the grant funding section to learn about how funding opportunities could support investment – link)
- Follow the waste hierarchy: refuse, reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle
- Monitor all waste streams
- Reduce use of single-use items and become plastic-free
- Provide recycling bins for staff and customers
- Use organic waste bin
- Monitor and manage your water consumption
- Use low-consumption water fixtures
- Maintain your equipment and look for leaks
- Use rainwater and recycle greywater
- Involve staff and customers
- Provide amenities supporting cycling
- Advertise local walking and cycling routes
- Indicate nearby electric vehicle charging points
- Install your own electric vehicle charging point
- Offer rewards for using low impact transport
- Communicate the accessibility of your business
- Reduce the use of harmful cleaning products
- Use eco-cleaning products
Safely dispose of fat, grease and oil
- Monitor air quality and pollution
- Reduce waste to landfill
- Calculate your carbon emissions with the simple carbon calculation tool
- Set targets and start initiatives to remove or reduce your carbon emissions
- Offset any unavoidable emissions through a local offsetting scheme
Lincolnshire Growth Hub
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust carbon sequestration
Best eco-cleaning products in 2021
VisitLincolnshire Bike Hire
Walking in Lincolnshire
Greater Lincolnshire Nature Partnership
Lincolnshire County Council
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust
Learn how sustainable businesses and people go hand-in-hand.
Learn why managing sustainability is important, and how you can do it in your business.
Understand how your business both impacts, and is impacted by, your local place.
Learn how you can capitalise on government schemes to improve your business.