The visitor economy sector is made up of a huge range of different industries, most of which interlink, but all of which are vibrant, interesting and never dull. If you love people and enjoy making people’s day this is the perfect career choice.
So, what are these industries? They include:-
- Hospitality (working in restaurants, bars, hotels, and leisure resorts).
- Tourism (working with coach organisers; package holiday companies; tour guides and airlines).
- Business Tourism (which involves booking elements that enable people to get to/from business meetings as well as business events including meetings, conferences, exhibitions, associations, incentive travel, team building events, awards dinners and more).
- Visitor attractions (ranging from play parks to horticultural parks and fair grounds to zoos and castles to historic houses)
So, you see whichever part of the visitor economy sector you choose to work in there is something for every taste and passion. And whether you’re a kitchen porter in a hotel working behind the scenes, cabin crew, or involved in the management of a hospitality business, every time you come into work, you’re making someone’s day that little bit better.
The visitor economy sector is all about creating experiences and memories that make people happy.
What’s more this industry offers so many perks:
- It is creative! Never staid or boring – every day is different.
- It can take you all over the world and you get to meet people from all walks of life, all with different stories.
- You could get to work with some of the most well-loved and recognised brands – think Hilton, International Bomber Command Centre, Lincolnshire Showground, Butlins.
- It provides an opportunity to take on responsibility from an early age
- There are clear routes into the industry, combined with excellent training opportunities.
What is often overlooked is the diversity and breadth of careers available within tourism and hospitality. Here is an overview of some of the fantastic career choices available.
Check out these videos for an insight into this incredibly rewarding sector and learn why most people choose never to leave it!
Finding a Career Within the Industry
Events, tourism and hospitality are sought after career sectors. But so wide and varied that there isn’t one single port of call to see what jobs are available. To ensure you don’t miss any opportunities, it is critical to spread your method of searching as recruiters use a number of platforms.
Suitable for Bars & Pubs
Bar & Pub Roles
Suitable for Caravan & Holiday Parks
Holiday Park Roles
Operations Centre Administrator
Operations Centre Manager
Suitable for Events Agencies
Events Agency Roles
Head of Events
Senior Account or Senior Project Manager
Account or Project Manager
Account or Project Executive
Suitable for Hotels
Head of Housekeeping
Kitchen, Restaurant & Bar Roles
Chef de Partie
Suitable for Restaurants
Restaurant & Kitchen Roles
Chef de Partie